United Way’s Mission
Plymouth Community United Way’s mission is to reach out and serve human needs.
To accomplish our mission, we unite organizations and individuals to make our community a better place to live by:
- Identifying the needs of our families, children, and the disadvantaged
- Encouraging the community’s participation in not-for-profit responses
- Stimulating the community’s financial generosity
- Acknowledging the efforts and accomplishments of our community
- Evaluating the results of our efforts
Plymouth Community United Way’s Targeted Community Priorities:
- Basic Needs
- Fostering Independence
- Nurturing Children
- Strengthening and Supporting Families
United Way’s Policy Against Coercion
Fundraising should always be conducted in a voluntary manner; coercion creates animosity, hinders communication and understanding, and eventually leads to decreased support. We discourage the practice of seeking 100% participation in a campaign, as that may inadvertently encourage coercion.
To underscore our conviction about this policy, United Way of America’s Board of Governors adopted the following policy statement:
- The Board of Governors of United Way Worldwide believes that the most responsive contributors are those who have the opportunity to become informed and involved. A well-planned campaign, with an effective communications program and conducted by committed volunteers, will ensure responsible contributors. While we have always been unalterably opposed to coercion, we do recognize a responsibility to state our beliefs formally, as freedom of choice is a basic tenet of our democratic society. Giving is a personal matter and decision: no form of coercion is acceptable to United Way Worldwide.